Every year, tens of thousands of North Americans voluntarily lose unused vacation days for a wide variety of reasons, including “they cannot afford it.” Despite scientific evidence that proves vacations are essential to one’s health, families and couples choose to forgo a momentary escape from the stresses of modern life. Our team here at Elk Lake Wilderness Resort pieced together a list of ten reasons why vacations are important to showcase the many benefits of an extended getaway, particularly to serene Northern Ontario.
Top 10 Reasons Why Vacations Are Important
Our quiet lakeside haven is an idyllic destination for a romantic getaway or family vacation, primarily because of our seemingly never-ending fishing acreage, waterfront sauna, warm hospitality, and beautiful natural scenery. Regardless of the season, families and couples visit Elk Lake Wilderness Resort to relax, unwind, and rejuvenate in the comfort of Mother Nature’s loving embrace. While there are hundreds of reasons why vacations are important, we believe that this list collectively provides a better understanding of the purpose of vacation time.
- Reduce stress: Unquestionably, the number one reason why vacations are important is that they’re scientifically proven to reduce stress. Unplug on the Montreal River this spring with your line in the water without a care in the world.
- Increase job performance: Frequent vacations, especially those that bookend a weekend, provide hard workers with a much-needed break from the office. We guarantee that you’ll return to work refreshed, recharged, and ready for the next challenge.
- Make you happier: Happiness goes hand in hand with reducing stress and increasing overall mental and physical health. But it’s important to note that many of our happiest moments often happen when we’re hundreds of miles from the workplace.
- Strengthen romantic relationships: The benefits of a vacation are infinite, especially for couples that need an extended escape from their hectic daily routines, stressful workplaces, and log-jammed commutes. There’s nothing wrong with leaving the kids with grandma and grandpa for a couple of days! And don’t forget to bring along your favorite four-legged friend as dogs make perfect romantic getaway companions.
- Improve creativity: Studies show that an extended break from computers, tablets, and smartphones leads to a 50 percent spike in creativity upon return home, particularly for those who venture into nature.
- Foster new perspectives: Learning about other cultures is quite common during vacations, even if you don’t leave the province. Every community (and destination) has a unique history and story—feel free to broaden your horizons during your long-awaited getaway.
- Offer much-needed family time: Oftentimes, families don’t need a break from each other—they need some time together, far away from the television. Bonding at home can be quite tricky with differing schedules and constant distractions. A vacation brings everyone together in a fun, family-focused environment.
- Help prevent burnout: Even for those of us who love their job, work burnout is quite common. Whether you care too much about the job or you’re overworked to no end, a little vacay is the perfect method to prevent burnout.
- Give you something to look forward to: We’ve all had those moments where we peek at our calendar, and absolutely nothing is on the horizon. Taking a three or four-day vacation every month is perhaps the best way to provide an extra boost on “hump day.”
- Provide opportunities to make new friends: Many couples (particularly those without children) and solo adventurers meet new friends while vacationing. We cannot tell you how many “pen pals” have been made here along the Montreal River.
Romantic Winter Getaways in Ontario
As a family-owned resort, we know (more than most) the essential reasons why vacations are important. And the upcoming winter season is the perfect time of the year for a well-deserved, long-overdue romantic getaway to Northern Ontario with your puppy. We’re happy to present exceptional all-inclusive deals on our website. Elk Lake Wilderness Resort provides couples with warm, hand-delivered meals, a riverfront sauna, countless wintertime activities, and, of course, some of the coziest cabins in Ontario. For even more reasons why vacations are so important, please give our friendly staff a call today at (705) 679‑4041.